Please let us know if you have any questions about usage of assets, our brand guidelines, licensing or legal matter.
If you encounter a problem along the way, or think something can be improved, please let us know about that too.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
- GETTING STARTED
- Q. How do I register?
- From the home page, click on the ‘login/register’ button in the top navigational tool bar. You need to supply and confirm your email address and set a password and complete your user profile.
Once registered, you will GET a default user role for registering users. To access some assets and more features you may need a different user role. Site Administrators can change user roles after you register.
Or you may receive an emailed User Invitation with a different user role pre-assigned to you.
If you think you need a different user role, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Q. How do I manage my account?
- To view information relating to your account activity (uploads, downloads, saved baskets, etc.). Sign into your account.
- Q. Can I share my account (single account for multiple users) with my colleagues?
- Q. What happens after I Sign in?
- Once signed in, you’ll be able to view and either download or request assets approved for your user role. Depending in your User Role you will be able to see and access specific Assets (or content). Scottish Government staff will have access to additional assets/content.
- USING ASSETS
- Q. What is a digital asset?
- A digital asset is a file in a digital format that has a value to an organisation or business. Files that do not have metadata or rights management are not considered "Assets". Examples of digital assets are images, video, PDFs, artwork, logos, design files and infographics.
Digital assets can also be written texts such as Blog Posts, Press Releases, Marketing Copy, etc. Digital assets use rights management. Which licence their usage, as specified by the owner of the assets.
- Q. How do I search for Assets?
- You can start searching and browsing for Assets straight away. Start by typing a search term in the search box (e.g. ‘Beach’) and a list of suggested words (or Tags) appear as you type. Select the tag you want by clicking on it in.
e.g. Type ‘Beach’, and the results will appear in a visual grid of assets (Search Results).
Tags (also known as Keywords) are the primary search method. If you are looking for a specific location, or event, enter the locatin or event name in the search box. If there is no result, then unfortunately we haven't got photos or videos or other assets matching your search. You can also search for an Asset Type (e.g. Image), a File Type (e.g. png) or Asset ID (if known). Filename's (if known) and Orientation (e.g. Portrait or landscape) are searchable. In some cases you won’t get a ‘typeahead auto-suggestion’ as you type. But keep typing and click enter to conduct the search of Asset name and description.
- Q. Why do I have to request assets?
- Some users (depending on User Role) have to request Assets (rather that download them immediately). For these users, we like to know how you are using our assets and what kind of promotions you are working on before we grant access. When you request we'll ask you a couple of questions and review those before approving or declining your request.
- Q. What is a license?
- Licensing is official permission to use a rights managed Asset. An industry-standard method for selling or sharing photos for editorial and marketing use. It doesn't mean that you own the image outright, you may use the asset for a certain purpose and sometime for a limited period. If you want to read more about our licences, click on a thumbnail from the asset grid to view the licence details for each Asset. You can also see these details when you downooad or request an Asset.
- Q. What is a usage note?
- A set of instructions that explain how you can use our assets and/or if there are restrictions. Examples of approved usage platforms are newspapers, magazines, website, social media, presentation, brochure, TV, and film.
- Q. What restrictions or limitations should I be aware of?
- If the Asset has an Expiry Date (which can be found in the Asset detail page and Licence detail panels when downloading, sharing, and sending), you must cease all use of those assets at the date of expiry.
If you are a production company working on a TV broadcast, you can apply for an extended usage for B-Roll footage.
No commercial use. Meaning you can’t use our assets as resale items including, without limitation, cards, stationery items, calendars, apparel items, DVDs, mobile applications, NFTs or other items for resale, license, or other distribution for profit. This includes "on demand" products, including, without limitation, postcards, mugs, t-shirts, posters, and other items (this includes the sale of products through custom designed websites).
- Q. What does Royalty free mean?
- Royalty-Free is a non-exclusive license with Worldwide distribution rights. You do not need to pay royalties or license fees for single use or for the duration of the licence period. You have permission to use our assets in paid or unpaid media. You must give attribution to the person or organisation shown in the credit field. This licence is subject to copyright law.
- Q. Can I download an image once, and re-use it for other projects?
- No, you must request and download the file, again, to use it for future projects.
- Q. Why can’t I view or download the videos that are on your YouTube channel?
- The videos on our YouTube channel can contain a variety of different rights managed video content and audio content which has been licensed for broadcast on Youtube. You are welcome to share, embed or link to our YouTube videos but we cannot provide the original file for you to dwnload or host due to these licensing restrictions.
- Q. How do asset requests work?
- If you are required to Requst an Asset (rather than a Download), then you need to make an Asset Request. You can request single or a batch of Assets (using the Basket). Once you complete a request form and submit it, Account Admins will review your request. If your request is Approved, we;ll send you the file via a Share email. If Declined we'll let you know my email.
- Q. How does the Basket work?
- The Basket allows you to select multiple Assets for further action. Baskets can be, saved as Saved Basket/Collections and accessed from your account whenever you need them. You can download all the Assets in a Basket in a single zip file. You can share your baskets with any email address. Baskets are a great way to download or request more than one asset at a time. Account Admin can also use Basket to make batch edits and other Admin actions. We love the Basket.
- Q. Can I edit the Assets I download?
- Brand identity and logos should never be, edited, altered, or broken apart. Other Assets should not be, edited or altered. Unless the Licence rules or Usage instructions allow repurposing or editing. For example, B-Roll video footage can be, edited into your own video project.
- Q. What is B-Roll?
- B-roll videos are collections of carefully curated video clips covering a variety of themes. We fully own the rights to any footage featured in these collections and these can be downloaded and edited into your own video projects provided you agree to the applicable Licence terms. As these are collections of often un-edited footage, the file sizes are often quite large, so we recommend you download any B-roll clips one at a time. This is to limit impact on our system and will improve delivery times for you.
- Q. I’m not receiving email notifications (to validate my account credentials)?
- Spam filtering has become more rigorous over the last few years. Email providers are cracking down on spam to better serve their customers. The problem is that the filtering process isn't 100% perfect. Please, check your junk mail or spam folder. But if the email isn’t in your spam folder, get in touch and we'll try and fix it.
- Q. How do I recover my lost password?
- If you have lost your password, you will have to reset it. To do so, select the Lost Password link on the login form. Then enter your registered email address (the email you registered on this site with). We'll send you an email with instructions on how to reset your password.
- Q. When I open the site, I get a blank screen, or the loading icon just keeps on spinning?
- Q. I am trying to type my details but the page freezes and nothing happens.
- Close all open windows or browser tabs and restart your browser. Quit other running apps and programs. Reboot the computer. In browser preferences disable apps and extensions. Scan your computer for malware or viruses. Reset your browser to its default state. If you are still experiencing the issue, then uninstall and reinstall your web browser.
- Q. My question is not answered here, where can I get additional help?
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to help.